Part Number: 4012
Inner Tie Rod Tool Kit
- For removal and installation of inner tie rods without removing the rack
- Extra-long 20" (51cm) socket with 7 crows-foot inserts
- Use with 1/2" drive tools
- Insert sizes: 1-3/16", 1-1/4", 1-5/16", 1-7/16", 14mm, 17mm, 33.6mm
- Inner Tie Rod Tool Kit
- NOTE: Applications and operating procedures can differ depending on the make and model of the vehicle. A generalized description of procedures is as follows:
- To replace the inner tie rod, remove the wheel from the vehicle.
- Loosen the jam nut on the outer tie rod. Then remove the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Turn the outer tie rod off the inner tie rod counterclockwise, making sure to count the turns so that when you install the outer tie rod onto the new inner tie rod it is installed the same distance as it was.
- Remove the tie rod boot.
- Slide the Inner Tie Rod Toll over the inner tie rod and wrench it off.
- Use the Inner Tie Rod Tool to install the new inner tie rod. NOTE: If the new inner tie rod has a small allen bolt, tighten the bolt after tightening the inner tie rod to the rack. Also, it is recommended to apply a small amount of blue Loc Tight-« on the inner tie rod to rack threads.
- Re-install the boot. If necessary, use hose clamps to secure both ends of the boot.
- Thread the outer tie rod on the specific number of turns. Then install the outer tie rod back into the steering knuckle. NOTE: Even if you turned the outer tie rod the exact number of times as you did to remove it, you should have an alignment shop set the toe (and check out the other angles).